Skin is the largest organ in the human body and is the first layer of protection for the body. It is seamless and any damage to the skin will cause problems internally as well.
Any cut, bruise or burn to the skin can cause scar formation. If the scar is in a place where it can be easily concealed, it does not pose a big problem. When the scar cannot be hidden, the best scar treatments are definitely needed.
Types of Scares
Scars can be caused due to various reasons and hence there are different types of scars. Some of them are given below:
- Acne scars: Severe acne can leave behind scars on the skin and they can be very deep pits or angular and wavelike scars. Mostly acne scars affect the face and the treatment would depend on the type and severity of acne scars.
- Keloid scars: Keloid scars are caused due to healing process of the body, which has turned overly aggressive. It is common in people who have darker skin. It can extend beyond the actual injury area and depending on the type, various treatment options are available.
- Contracture scars: Burns cause contracture scars, which tighten the skin that has burned. This can cause restriction in movements if they go deep. These scars can also affect the muscles and nerves.
- Hypertrophic scars: These types of scars are similar to keloid scars but do not extend beyond the injury. They are raised and reddish scars. Silicone sheets are used to flatten them and steroid injections are used to reduce the inflammation.
12 Best Scar Treatments
Scars are not something that we tend to put on display. Depending on the injury, they are of various shapes and sizes. There are several natural ways to get rid of the scars, some of which are given below:
1. Silicone Pads
The first best scar treatment is silicone pads. Applying silicone pads on wounds when they are healing helps in softening the scars, improving the color and texture of the new skin. The silicone helps in flattening the collagen and remodeling it. It is good to use silicone sheets which can be cut into the shape of the wounds.
2. Organic Raw Honey
Applying raw organic honey on scars twice daily is advised. The anti-bacterial properties in honey promote the growth and healing of skin cell. Scars tend to fade over time by this treatment. However, please mind not to try this if you have oily skin.
3. Castor Oil
Castor oil is the best scar treatment you won't want to miss. This particular treatment can show results in a week. Apply castor oil liberally on the scar, then wrap with food grade plastic wrap without Bisphenol A. Use heating pad on high setting and leave on for 20-25 minutes.
4. Egg Whites
The smell might put you off, but the proteins present in egg white are known to help in skin rejuvenation. This is especially good for stretch marks, and applying egg white three times a day is recommended.
5. Cocoa Butter
Massaging cocoa butter into the skin in firm circular motion up to three times a day is beneficial. The moisture from the cocoa butter is helpful in stimulating the collagen production which fades the scars.
Onion extract is a key ingredient in scar treatment creams. You can chop an onion and extract the juice. Apply this juice on the scarred area with cotton a few times a day. It has anti-inflammatory agents which inhibit the over production of collagen in the scar. It should be used liberally over a period of few months.
7. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice has always been used as a skin lightening agent. The citric acid helps in exfoliation and lightening of the scar cells. Use cotton to apply the diluted lemon juice to the scars a few times a day. It also helps to tighten pores on the face.
8. Vitamin E Capsules
Vitamin E is very good for the skin in keeping it soft and moisturized. Rubbing the vitamin E oil from capsules on the scars every day helps in smoothening and straightening out the collagen in the scar tissue.
Sandalwood has been known to help in maintaining good skin for many years. Mixing sandalwood powder with rose water and leaving this paste on the scar overnight helps in getting rid of the scars. Sandalwood with black gram is also effective in making the skin glow.
10. Herbal Treatments
Various herbs are effective in reducing scars. Aloe Vera juice applied on the scars twice a day will improve the scarring in a few days. Raw garlic rubbed on the scars is beneficial in healing scars naturally. Neem has fungicidal properties due to the presence of agents like Gedunin and Nimbidol. Neem juice is also effective in scar treatment. Juice from mint leaves applied on the face daily also helps in eliminating the scars.
Tomato juice is effective in healing acne scars. It helps in lightening and thus reducing the appearance of the scars. Tomatoes can be cut into half and rubbed onto the skin to diminish the scars.
12. Avoidance of Sun Exposure
If healing scars or newly formed scars are exposed to sunlight, they stay red or pink and take almost double time to heal. It is ideal to cover it with cloth or bandage. When you do expose it accidently, please remember to apply adequate sunscreen for sufficient protection.
Natural methods take longer time to heal scars; hence you should be persistent and consistent with the treatment measures. It can take several months to see good results.
Medical Scar Treatments
If the natural remedies fail, you should ask the best scar treatment from your doctor. Scars are formed as a natural healing process of an injury. Scar treatment will depend on all such factors as the size and depth of the wound, cut or location of the injury, age, genetics, sex as well as the ethnicity of an individual.
- Medical products: Various medicinal products like creams, ointments and gel are available for scar treatment. Various OTC products can be used for injury scars. Scars from plastic surgery should be treated with products prescribed by the surgeon. For itchy and sensitive scars, steroids and anti-histamines creams can be used. Doctors may also prescribe pressure treatment, silicone gel sheets for treatment or preventive care.
- Surgery: For very deep scars, surgery might be advised. Procedures like skin grafts, excision, dermabrasion or laser surgery can be used. Skin grafts are usually done on people who have suffered from burns through using skin from other part of the body on the scarred area. Scars from surgery fade over time; hence it is advisable to wait a year before considering treatment for such scars. Scars which restrict movement can be corrected by surgery as well.
- Injections: Keloid or hypertrophic scars can be treated by using steroid injections. Collagen or injections containing fillers may also be used by doctors.