When you are trying to conceive it is important to keep your sperm count up. This increases your chances of success and also increases your libido so you can have a healthier sex life. There are medications that can help boost your sperm count, but it is much easier to alter your diet to provide your body with the nutrients it needs naturally. Using foods for sperm to increase your sperm count also helps you avoid side effects that medications often have.
Food for Sperm
- Oysters. Studies indicate the amino acids in oysters can help raise testosterone levels that can increase a male's sexuality.
- Beef. Lean beef is high in zinc that can help protect the sperm from free radicals. It also prevents testosterone from being converted to estrogen which can lower a man's sex drive.
- Dark Chocolate. Chocolate is high in L-Arginine HCL, an amino acid that can be good food for sperm, and increase semen volume and double sperm counts. Do not eat an excessive amount of dark chocolate because this can cause you to gain weight which can throw off the body's natural estrogen/testosterone balance which may reduce your sperm count.
- Maca. Men that consume 1500-3000mg of maca extract will see a significant increase in their sperm count per ejaculation plus an increase in sperm mobility. Some have also seen an increase in sexual desire.
- Bananas. Bananas contain a lot of bromelain that helps to increase male sex drive and libido. They also have a great deal of vitamin B that can increase sexual stamina.
- Asparagus. Consuming asparagus gives the body a high dose of vitamin C that helps to protect the body from free radical damage that can decrease the sperm count.
- Walnuts. Walnuts are high in omega-3 fatty acids that improve blood flow to the genitals, increasing sexual function and overall sperm count.
- Pumpkin Seeds. As one of best options of food for sperms, pumpkin seeds are high in pytosterols that help to shrink enlarged prostates which can help improve testosterone production. They are also high in omega-3 fatty acids that can improve blood flow to the genitals.
- Ginseng. Ginseng increases the hormonal secretions in the body that can improve sexual performance and libido. This can help improve erections and eliminate erectile dysfunction.
- Garlic. Garlic is high in allicin that improves blood flow to the genitals to improve sperm count. However, over-consuming garlic can lead to body odor that can be off putting to your sexual partner.
- Goji Berries. Goji berries are high in antioxidants that can increase circulation and help regulate body temperature so the genitals remain at an ideal temperature for sperm production. Some also believe that goji berries can increase stamina and the feeling of well-being that can help improve your sex life.
- Fatty Fish. Fatty fish are high in omega-3 fatty acids that help to improve arousal.
- Pomegranate. Pomegranates are very high in antioxidants and contain malondialidehyde that can protect the sperm from free radical damage.
- Tomatoes. Tomatoes contain a great deal of lycopene that can increase semen volume while helping men produce healthier sperm.
Foods to Avoid
- Junk Foods. Constantly eating sugary, fatty or fried foods can lower fertility levels in men and women.
- High-mercury Fish. Mercury greatly increases the risk of infertility, so fish like king mackerel, tuna steaks, shark, swordfish or tilefish that are known for being high in mercury should be avoided.
- Caffeine and Alcohol. Consuming an excessive amount of caffeine decreases the overall sperm count. Alcohol can also limit the sperm count, limiting fertility.