Cough medicines are designed to suppress dry coughs or help you cough up excess mucus for those suffering from a URTI. Cough medications that are designed to aid a dry cough may be referred to as a cough suppressant or antitussive. Those that are designed to help rid the body of excess mucus are known as expectorants. There are many cough medications available in supermarkets or pharmacies. There are some best cough medicines here.
Who Should Not Take Cough Medicines?
In general, doctors do not recommend individuals take cough medication unless their cough is keeping them up at night or limiting their ability to perform daily activities. Coughing up mucus is helpful because this keeps your lungs clear, particularly for those suffering from emphysema or asthma.
Ingredients like dextromethorphan can interact with other medications including serotonin nonrepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and monoamine oxidase inhibitors. Check with your doctor before taking medications that include this ingredient to ensure it is safe. Those with heart disease or high blood pressure should avoid using medications that contain decongestant ingredients as they can raise your blood pressure.
What Are the Best Cough Medicines?
- Care Glycerin Lemon and Honey. Care products use glycerol as an active ingredient. This is a sweet and thick liquid that will help coat a throat that is inflamed. The effect is very soothing with a very low risk of side effects. This is an ideal formula for those over the age of one.
- Boots Bronchial Cough Mixture. Boots Bronchial cough mixture includes ammonium carbonate, guaifenesin and licorice which is designed to loosen phlegm in the respiratory system. Users have determined that the ammonium carbonate may increase your cough which is helpful for getting stubborn, sticky mucus out of the system. This medication can be given to children over the age of 12 and adults.
- Benylin Mucus Cough Menthol Syrup. This medication includes guaifenesin that helps to thin the mucus. This makes your cough more productive so the body can rid itself of this mucus. Benylin also contains menthol that will help soothe and cool an irritated throat. The medication is intended for those that have a very wet, thick cough. It will not help the cough go away more quickly but it can make the cough more productive. This medication is not intended for those under the age of 12.
- Olbas Pastilles. This medication includes eucalyptus, menthol, peppermint, clove and juniper oils that can be given to children over seven and adults. These ingredients are intended to help relieve a cough while clearing stuffiness in the head. Olbas has been found to help soothe symptoms in the upper respiratory tract including hoarseness, cough or sore throat.
- Bronchosan Pine Cough Syrup. This medication includes spruce and fir extracts that can help thin the mucus so it is easier to expel. Those that are suffering from an irritating or dry cough. It is designed for use in children over the age of 12.
- Tixylix Dry Cough. This medication contains a cough pholcodine that can be administered children from 6.10 to soothe a dry cough. This medication is not intended for those under the age of six because these children may be more susceptible hallucinations, allergic reactions or sleep disturbances.
- Nelsons Sootha. Nelsons Sootha uses a flowering plant called Bryonia that is known as a homeopathic cough remedy. It is believed that homeopathic ingredients stimulate the natural healing process in those over one year old. Those that have used this medication find the lemon and honey in the formula to be soothing. However, honey should not be given to children under a year old because they are at a higher risk for the bacterial disease botulism.
- Dextromethorphan. This is one of the most common cough suppressants on the market. It does not include pain-relievers or include ingredients like codeine. Codeine is a narcotic suppressant that you can only get with a prescription. Dextromethorphan (DM) is designed to relieve a hacking, dry cough. Instead of encouraging the body to expel irritants, DM will suppress your cough so they are not intended to treat a cough that contains mucus. This is a main ingredient in a number of name brand cough medications.