As we age and get more sun exposure, the skin will develop dark spots in unprotected areas. And the hands, shoulders and face are particularly susceptible to sun spots. There are many over the counter skin-care products that can be used to help reduce the appearance of sun spots or an age spots. Besides, there are many other methods (both natural and medical) for sun spots removal. If you want the best product for sun spots, here we recommend you the top 10 products.
Best Product for Sun Spots
Garnier Skin Renew Anti-Sun Damage lotion is the best product for sun spots. It can help to replenish essential nutrients removed from skin during excessive sun exposure while providing SPF 28 protection that can reduce the risk of future damage.
2. Oil of Olay
The Olay Definitely Self Repair Serum and Oil formula contains glucosamine that will help encourage the body's natural repair mechanisms for skin. This will help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and age spots.
Roc Multi Correction Tone Perfecting Treatment will help to soften and smooth the skin using a hyaluronic acid, retinol and biopeptides that reduce the appearance of dark spots.
The Healthy Skin Rejuvenator Kit includes microdermabrasion kits that will provide gentle exfoliation for the skin. This allows for quicker turnover to reveal bright, healthy skin beneath dark spots.
The Overnight Facial Resurfacing Serum uses plant-based exfoliates to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, pores and age spots while removing dull flaky skin.
The Amway Artistry Time Defiance Illuminating Essence treatment provides the skin with natural antioxidants alongside bitter orange peel extract and white tea extract that can be used to remove age and sun damage.
The Even Better Dark Spot Corrector helps to tone the skin to remove acne scars, age spots and dark spots.
The Daily Resurfacer by Dermalogica avoids the use of harsh chemicals and instead uses green tea extract to tone the skin and promote moisture retention.
Philosophy Miracle Worker Anti-Aging Retinol Pads use vitamin C, retinol and green tea extract solution in an exfoliating pad to remove damaged skin and reveal the healthy skin underneath.
The Lancome Bright Expert Intense Brightening Spot Correcting Serum helps to even complexion while removing dark age or sun spots.
More Remedies for Removing Sun Spots
Now that you have chosen the best product for sun spots, you should try some homemade remedies to make the sun spot vanish quicker.
1. Natural Methods
- Fresh Lemon. Cut a fresh lemon or lime and apply the fruit to the skin for 10-15 minutes each day. The natural acids in the fruit will help to remove dead skin cells.
- Aloe Vera Gel. Aloe Vera can be applied to skin that has been damaged by the sun to help heal these areas. Use it twice a day.
- Green Tea Bag. Steep a tea bag in boiling water for 3-5 minutes and then squeeze the liquid from the tea bag into a cotton ball. Apply this liquid to sun spots twice a day to allow the tea's natural antioxidants to promote the skin's natural healing.
- Buttermilk. Soaking sun spots in buttermilk for a few minutes can help to make them appear lighter. This remedy is easier to manage on sun spots that are not on the face.
- Vitamin E Capsule. Break open a vitamin E capsule and apply the liquid to your sunspots or scars to help them fade.
- Red Onion. Slice up a fresh red onion and rub the slices on the sunspots. The acid in the onion will help to reduce sun spots.
2. OTC Products
- Products with Kojic Acid. Kojic acid comes from the fermentation process that creates Sake and it commonly known as a way to reduce sun spots.
- Tretinoin and Renova. Renova and tretinoin are commonly known as helpful agents in fading dark marks on the skin.
- Products with Azelaic Acid. Azelaic acid comes from rye or wheat grains. Applying formulas with this ingredient help to manage hyperpigmentation.
- Hydroquinone. Hydroquinone is commonly used as a spot remover. However, studies have shown that high exposure to this chemical will cause cancer in mice. Talk to your doctor about the safety and potential use of this chemical.
3. Professional Services
- Laser Resurfacing. Laser procedures will gently remove layers of skin to remove dark spots. This procedure requires several weeks to recover afterward.
- Chemical Peel. A chemical peel uses a combination of acids to remove layers of skin to reduce the appearance of sun or age spots. The area where the acids were applied will be red for a few days afterward, but this will fade.
- Cryotherapy. This procedure uses a chemical such as liquid nitrogen to freeze dark spots so they will scab. Approximately one week later the spots will fall off.
Once dark spots have been removed, it is important to protect your hard work. Always wear sunblock with at least SPF 15 protection when you are outdoors to avoid further damage. Protecting the skin from the sun will allow the skin to naturally heal itself. You should also avoid direct sunlight or tanning booths to protect the skin. Wear a hat or use an umbrella while outside. Wearing light colored clothing can also help to reflect the sun's rays to reduce potential damage.