The pores on the skin release sweat and oil while allowing hair to grow. The size and appearance of your pores will vary based on your skin type and genetics. Sun damage, aging, improper hygiene or using low/bad quality cosmetics can also make the pores look larger. As you age the skin loses its collagen which allows it to remain elastic, which means it is more difficult for your skin to support the oil glands, increasing the size of the pores. How to reduce pore size can be a tricky issue. Fortunately, creating homemade cleansing products or using the right products can help you minimize pore size.
Home Remedies to Reduce Pore Size
Following a skin care routine that includes cleansing, toning, moisturizing and weekly exfoliating is the ideal way that can teach you how to reduce pore size.
1. Make Your Own Face Wash
You can create a cleansing wash for your pores by mixing ½ cup water, 2 tablespoons baking soda, ¼ cup whole milk and an egg white in a bowl. Gently massage the cleanser into the face then rinse it away with lukewarm water.
2. Steam Your Face Weekly
Steaming your face will help open your pores so it is easier to remove oil, debris and impurities that are making them appear larger. To safely steam the face…
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and then remove it from the heat, setting it on a heat-proof surface.
- Place a towel on your head and lean over the steaming water for 5 minutes.
- Then rinse the face with lukewarm water and pat the skin dry. Follow this regimen for one week.
3. Apply Homemade Anti-Oil Mask
Steaming your face to open the pores and then applying an oil-control mask will allow for deep conditioning.
Create a homemade oil-control mask by combining ¼ cup natural clay and ¼ cup carrot juice. Apply this mixture to your face but not to the area under eyes for 20 minutes then rinse it off with cool water.
4. Try Homemade Pore Shrinking Mask
Lemon Juice and Cider Vinegar Mask
This mask will smell unpleasant but it is quite effective for minimizing pores.
Tomato masks can be used to reduce the appearance of pores while lightening the skin tone on the face. To create this mask…
Those with dry skin should follow up with a yogurt mask to moisturize the skin.
Cold Milk Compress
The temperature of a cold compress will help to temporarily shrink the pores. To create an effective compress…
This will not permanently reduce the appearance of the pores but it will help prevent your makeup from leaking into the pores so they look larger.
5. Apply Natural Moisturizer
Moisturizers like aloe can help tighten the pores while moisturizing, balancing and toning the skin. Aloe can also control blemishes on problematic skin. The best way to obtain aloe gel is by breaking open an aloe leaf and draining the natural gel into a bowl then applying it directly to the face. This is anohter ideal choice on how to reduce pore size.
6. Keep Right Skin Care Routine
The best way to minimize the look of large pores is to work at keeping your skin clean. Make sure to remove makeup before bed then it will not clog the pores and make them larger. If you plan to use a pore minimizer, read the instructions and reviews to ensure the product is right for you. Using the right products is the key to eliminating the presence of enlarged pores.
7. Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle
- Drinking at least 8 glasses of water each day will help to keep your skin hydrated and prevents toxins from building up in the system.
- Including plenty of protein, fruits and vegetables that have a variety of nutrients will help you minimized pore dilation.
- Avoid unhealthy additions such as using alcohol and smoking will help maintain the health of your pores.
Best Products to Reduce Pore Size
Using products specifically designed to minimize the appearance of your pores are also helpful for those trying to manage this cosmetic issue. The following is a guidance on how to reduce pore size by using some products.
Seek out a pore minimizing cleanser containing salicylic or glycolic acid that can help to remove oil, dirt and grime from your face and pores without stripping away the essential natural moisture of the skin. Salicylic and glycolic acids help to remove excess sebum or oil that increases the size of your pores. Some quality cleansers include:
- Neutrogena Pore Refining Cleanser
- L’Oreal Cleansing Foam Cleanser
- Clean and Clear Daily Pore Cleanser
- Origins Zero Oil Deep Pore Cleanser with saw Palmetto and Mint
- Lancôme Pure Focus Cleanser
Exfoliating regularly will help to remove excessive oil and dead skin cells that can find their way into the pores, causing them to appear larger and leading to infections that can cause blemishes. Some exfoliators include:
- Biotherm Biopur Pore Refining Exfoliating Gel
- Shiseido Bio Performance Super Exfoliating Discs
- Biore Pore Minimizing Refining Exfoliator
Toners or an astringent will help to even the skin’s texture and remove oil from the deep layers of the skin. This will help to minimize the appearance of the pores while refreshing the skin. Ideal products include:
- Rodan Anti-Age Pore Minimizing Toner
- Avon TRUE PORE-FECTION Skin Refining Toner
- Kiehl’s Rare Earth Pore Refining Tonic
- Clean & Clear Pore Cooling Toner
- Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner
Those that suffer from large pores should avoid greasy moisturizers that have an oil base. Instead, seek out moisturizers that contain retinol such as an anti-aging product. Retinol is a kind of vitamin A that will help to tighten the skin, reducing your pores size. Such products include:
- Neutrogena Pore Refining Cream
- Clinique Pore Minimizer Refining Lotion
- Biore Pore Minimizing Lightweight Moisturizer
- Ponds Smooth Perfecting Complexion Perfecting Moisturizer