Hair has been described as a person's "crowning glory". Unfortunately, there are many elements that can combine to tarnish the crown. Use of chemicals, pollution, a bad diet and other factors can make hair dry, oily or damaged. You can buy hair products to combat the problems or you can try a natural hair mask using natural ingredients to restore your hair to health.
Natural Hair Mask
Problems with your hair can include: excessively dry or oily hair, damaged hair, or frizzy hair. Good news is you can try natural hair mask to combat each of these problems.
1. For Dry Hair
- Egg Yolk and Milk. Using ingredients you have at home, you can create a hair mask for your dry hair. Beat one egg yolk then add one cup of milk and beat the mixture again. Add ½ tablespoon of rose water to the mixture if you want. Put this mixture into your hair and be sure to put plenty on the ends of the hair. Let this mask dry for about 20 minutes then rinse your hair completely.
- Egg and Olive Oil. A variation of the egg and milk recipe is to use egg and olive oil. For this hair mask, combine 2 eggs with 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Massage this mixture into your hair and let it set for 20-30 minutes. Wash out the hair mask.
- Banana, Almond and Honey. Puree ½ banana with a few drops of almond oil and 2 tablespoons of honey. Apply this mixture to your hair and let it set for 20-30 minutes before washing out.
2. For Oily Hair
- Yogurt and Baking Soda. For this hair mask, use a cup of yogurt and blend in one teaspoon of baking soda. Add a tablespoon of lemon juice and an egg white that is beaten. Apply it to your hair and leave it for 45 minutes. Wash your hair.
- Clay and Water. If you have ready access to clay, you can create a great hair mask using 4-5 tablespoons of clay mixed with enough water to make a thick liquid. Apply this mixture to your hair and let it set for about 30 minutes. Wash your hair thoroughly and rinse with some lemon water.
- Apple Cider Vinegar and Lemon. Use ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar. Grate the peel of one lemon into the vinegar and mix it thoroughly. Apply the paste to your hair for 15 minutes then wash the mixture out of your hair.
3. For Damaged Hair
- Pumpkin, Yogurt and Honey. In your blender, chop 2 cups of pumpkin and blend with 1 tablespoon of yogurt and 1 tablespoon of honey. Apply this paste to damp hair and let it set for 15-20 minutes. Wash the mixture out of your hair.
- Fenugreek Seed and Honey. This natural hair mask requires 5 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds. Fenugreek seeds can be found in most grocery or health food stores. Soak the seeds overnight. In the morning, grind the seeds and add 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the mixture. Put the mixture on your hair and let it dry - usually about 20 minutes. Wash the mixture out of your hair.
- Oatmeal and Almond Oil. Use ½ cup of unflavored oatmeal soaked in some water to make it soft. Drain the water and mix in 4 tablespoons of milk and 1 tablespoon of almond oil. Apply this mixture to your hair and leave it for 15 minutes. Wash the mask out of your hair.
4. For Frizzy Hair
- Banana, Olive Oil and Mayonnaise. For this hair mask, puree one banana with a tablespoon of olive oil and two tablespoons of mayonnaise. Put the mixture on your hair and leave it for about 30 minutes. Wash your hair.
- Banana, Cantaloupe and Yogurt. Blend this fruity hair mask in your blender using ½ cup of banana and ¼ cup of cantaloupe. Add 1 tablespoon of yogurt and blend well. Apply this mixture to your hair and let it set for 15 minutes. Then, wash your hair.
- Coconut Cream. Although coconut cream may be hard to find, it is a great hair mask for frizzy hair. Apply one cup of coconut cream into your hair. Soak a towel in hot water then wring it out. Wrap the towel around your head for an hour and then remove the towel and wash your hair.
5. For Shiny Hair
- Coconut Oil. Warm some coconut oil to a comfortable temperature and massage a small amount into your hair. Sleep overnight with the oil in your hair then wash your hair the next day. Be sure to put a towel on your pillow to avoid oil stains.
- Strawberry and Mayonnaise. Mix 1 tablespoon mayonnaise and 10 medium sized strawberries to form a thick mixture. Apply the mixture to damp hair and cover your hair with a warm, damp towel. Leave the hair mask in place for 30 minutes, and then wash your hair.
- Avocado, Honey and Olive Oil. Mash 1 ripe avocado and mix the puree with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon honey. Apply this mixture to your hair and scalp, and spread it with a comb. Allow it to remain for 20-30 minutes and then wash your hair.