Burping is normal. Everybody does it to expel gases or air from the stomach. Certain foods may produce burps that smell like pool; foul-smelling burps may indicate several issues related to your digestive system. You can resolve the issue by paying attention to what you eat and changing your eating habits that cause foul-smelling burps. When burps smell like rotten eggs and diarrhea happens, this may indicate a more serious problem. It is therefore important to find out the underlying cause first to be able to select the most suitable treatment option.
Burps That Smell Like Poop, Why?
Do you always wonder, "Why do my burps smell like poop?" Here's the answer.
Giardia lamblia is a single-celled organism responsible for infecting your small bowel. The condition is called Giardiasis that shows itself in many different ways. You may be a carrier but you may not notice any symptoms at all. Others may experience symptoms such as headache, diarrhea, loss of appetite, abdominal pain and foul smelling burps.
2. Prescribed Medication
When your burps smell like rotten eggs and diarrhea happens, this could be because you've been using prescription medications for too long, especially if your medication contains sulfur.
3. The Wrong Food
What you eat will have an impact on your burps. Eating heavy meals that contain sugar and protein may cause foul-smelling burps. Heavy meals will take a lot more time to digest and the longer they stay in your intestine, the higher the buildup of hydrogen sulfide that causes sulfur-smelling burps.
4. Bacteria Overgrowth
You may experience sulfur burps due to small intestinal bacteria overgrowth (SIBO). There is usually a great balance in the amount of intestinal bacteria, but several diseases like Crohn's disease, celiac disease or lactose intolerance may disturb this balance, causing an overgrowth of such bacteria that produce bad odor.
5. Other Conditions
You may also have burps smell like poop if you're suffering from GERD, irritable bowel syndrome and have issues related to gallbladder.
How to Get Rid of Burps That Smell Like Poop
Instead of asking, "Why do my burps smell like poop?" you should focus more on how to fix the issue. Here's what you can do about it:
1. Drink Plenty of Fluid
It is important to drink plenty of fluids because it not only keeps you hydrated by also keep any bacteria from causing infections in your stomach. By drinking plenty of water and fluids, you will be able to flush out the toxins.
You can add more water to your daily routine and drink herbal teas because they stop the growth of pathogens in your body and save you from dealing with foul-smelling burps. If you're already having smelly burps with stomach pain, you may consider drinking lukewarm water with lemon juice and honey added to it.
2. Consume Fennel Seeds
Using fennel seeds is probably the best home remedies for burping. It not only helps keep excessive gas from building up in your system, but also is effective to soothing your existing bad smelling burps, stomach pain and flatulence. Simply chewing some fennel seeds will work wonders and help expel excessive air from your body without causing any bloating.
3. Change Your Diet Habits
It is extremely important to pay attention to your diet when you're worried about burps that smell like poop. Here's what you can do about the issue:
- Avoid eating too much sugar-containing foods because this will cause excessive gas buildup in your stomach. Foods like ice creams, candies, desserts, and other sweet food should be avoided.
- Drinking a lot of alcohol is yet another reason why you're experiencing bad smelling burps. So avoid it.
- Add foods with a lot of fiber to your diet because they will help push leftover foods in your stomach out of your body through intestines. Fresh fruits and salads are good choice.
- Don't eat too much of eggs and poultry because their high protein content put pressure on your gastrointestinal tract. This will lead to additional bloating.
- Don't eat canned or processed foods, or your stomach problem will become worse. Eat fresh foods because they don't contain parasites and bacteria.
- Be sure to eat small meals frequently other than eating large meals thrice a day. Large meals will require lots of bile for digestion, which in most cases will cause smelly burps.
- Never rush when eating. You should chew your foods properly to make it easier on your stomach. You will not face issues related to smelly burps and flatulence if your chew your food properly and make it easy for your stomach to digest it.
Make these dietary changes and watch the following video to learn more about some natural remedies for burps that smell like poop:
4. Turn to Medical Methods
Using natural remedies will definitely help, but sometimes it is a good idea to turn to medical methods. Antacids will help relieve certain symptoms, but you may have to take proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole if your symptoms are severe. You need to discuss everything with your doctor because they may use other methods if your symptoms persist. This may include gastric emptying tests for gasteroparesis, hydrogen breath test, ultrasound of gall bladder for gallstones, and upper GI endoscopy for peptic ulcers.
Watch the video below to know how to get rid of foul burps with two useful medications: